Rod Bearing Clearance Inspection
- Remove the connecting rod cap and bearing half.
- Clean the crankshaft rod journal and bearing half with a clean shop towel.
- Place a strip of plastigauge across the rod journal.
- Reinstall the bearing half and cap and torque the bolts to 32 Nm (3.3 kgf/m, 24 lbf/ft). Do not rotate the crankshaft.
- Remove the rod cap and bearing half and measure the widest part of the plastigauge.
Connecting Rod Bearing-to-Journal Oil Clearance:
Standard (New):0.024 - 0.042 mm
(0.0009 - 0.0017 in.)
Service Limit:0.05 mm (0.002 in.)
- If the plastigauge measures too wide or too narrow, remove the upper half of the bearing, install a new, complete bearing with the same colour code and recheck the clearance. Do not file, shim, or scrape the bearings or the caps to adjust clearance.
- If the plastigauge shows the clearance is still incorrect, try the next larger or smaller bearing (the colour listed above or below that one) and check clearance again. If the proper clearance cannot be obtained by using the appropriate larger or smaller bearings, replace the crankshaft and start over.