Interior Trim Removal/Installation - Front Pillar Trim - With Side Curtain Airbags
Front Pillar Trim
SRS components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations and the precautions and procedures before performing repairs or service.
- Follow the front pillar trim installation procedure carefully; improper installation could cause the side curtain airbag to deploy improperly and possibly cause injury.
- Put on gloves to protect your hands.
- When removing components, use the handy remover set or equivalent.
- Take care not to scratch the trim and panels.
- The upper clip in the front pillar trim (A) consists of a grommet (B) and a pin (C). The grommet expanded with the pin secures it to the body panel (D). The projections (E) on the pin is broken during removal, so the clip must be replaced with a new one when the trim is reinstalled.
|1.||Pull the front door opening seal away from the front pillar as needed.|
|2.||Hit the upper clip in the front pillar trim (A) with your hand. The clip is under the ‘‘SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAG'' mark (B). Hitting the clip breaks the projections (C) on the pin (D) and pushes it into the grommet (E) and against the body (F). The grommet becomes narrow.|
NOTE: The clip must be replaced with a new one when the front pillar trim is reinstalled.
|3.||Pull the top of the front pillar trim (A) back by hand to remove the upper clip (B) from the body (C).|
|4.||Pull the front pillar trim (A) by hand to detach the clips. Pull the trim up from the dashboard (B), then remove it.|
|5.||If the side curtain airbag has deployed, replace the front pillar trim and all clips on the trim with new ones.|
|6.||If the side curtain airbag has not deployed, remove the upper clip (A) from the removed front pillar trim (B) and discard it. Then check the trim:|
|7.||Before installing the front pillar trim (A) whether replaced or reinstalled, temporarily remove a new upper clip (B).|
|8.||Check the overlap between the headliner and front pillar trim, and if necessary, adjust it.|
|9.||Carefully install a new upper clip (A) to the front pillar trim (B). Be sure that the grommet (C) is nearest to the top of the pin (D) as shown.|
|10.||Reinstall the front pillar trim (A).|
|11.||Reinstall the front door opening seal.|