Interior Trim Removal/Installation - Rear Pillar Trim - Without Side Curtain Airbags
Rear Pillar Trim
SRS components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations
and the precautions and procedures
before performing repairs or service.
- Follow the rear pillar trim installation procedure carefully; improper installation could cause the side curtain airbag to deploy improperly and possibly cause injury.
- Put on gloves to protect your hands.
- When removing components, use the handy remover set or equivalent.
- Take care not to scratch the trim and panels.
- The front clip in the rear pillar trim (A) consists of a grommet (B) and a pin (C). The grommet expanded with the pin secures it to the body panel (D). The projections (E) on the pin is broken during removal, so the clip must be replaced with a new one when the trim is reinstalled.
|2.||Fold the seat-back forward.|
|3.||Hit the front clip in the rear pillar trim (A) with your hand. The clip is near the triangle mark (B). Hitting the clip breaks the projections (C) on the pin (D) and pushes it into the grommet (E) and against the body (F). The grommet becomes narrow.|
NOTE: The clip must be replaced with a new when the rear pillar trim is reinstalled.
|4.||Pull the front of the rear pillar trim (A) back by hand to remove the front clip (B) from the body (C).|
|5.||Pull the rear pillar trim (A) by hand to detach the clips, then pull the trim up from the rear shelf (B).|
|7.||If the side curtain airbag has not deployed, remove the front clip (A) from the removed rear pillar trim (B) and discard it. Then check the trim:|
- To prevent the side curtain airbags from deploying improperly and possibly causing injury, inspect the front pillar trim and replace it if it has any of these types of damage:
- Any cracks, deformations, or stress-whitened in the rear pillar trim
- Any cracks or stress-whitened in the clip seating surfaces (C, D)
- Replace the rear clips (E) if it is damaged.
- Replace the front clip with a new one.
|8.||Before installing the rear pillar trim (A) whether replaced or reinstalled, temporarily remove a new front clip (B).|
|10.||Carefully reinstall a new front clip (A) to the rear pillar trim (B). Be sure that the grommet (C) is nearest to the top of the pin (D) as shown.|
|11.||Reinstall the rear pillar trim (A).|
|-1 ||Insert the bottom of the trim into the rear shelf (B).|
|-2 ||Place the trim over the rear pillar (C), and fit its front clip (D) and rear clips (E) into holes (F) in the rear pillar, then lightly push the trim into place.|
- Make sure the side curtain airbag isn't tucked down under the clips and ribs.
- Push lightly on the front clip. If you push too hard, the clip will be damaged, and it will not hold the trim properly.
|12.||Reinstall the rear door opening seal.|