- Park the vehicle on level ground and turn the engine OFF.
- Remove the oil filler plug (A) and washer (B), check the condition of the fluid, and make sure the fluid is at the proper level (C).
- If the transmission fluid is dirty, remove the drain plug (D) and drain the fluid.
- Reinstall the drain plug with a new washer and refill the transmission fluid to the proper level.
1.5 l (1.6 US qt, 1.3 lmp qt) at fluid change
1.7 l (1.8 US qt, 1.5 lmp qt) at overhaul
Always use Genuine Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF). Using motor oil can cause stiffer shifting because it does not contain the proper additives.
- Reinstall the oil filler plug with a new washer.
- Disconnect the back-up light switch (A) connector.
- Check for continuity between the back-up light switch 2P connector No. 1 and No. 2 terminals. There should be continuity when the shift lever is in reverse.
- If necessary, replace the back-up light switch. Apply liquid gasket (P/N 08C70-K0234M), and install it on the transmission housing.